Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Salesman!


Miller's Death of a Salesman is not only clearly designed for a musical comedy, but begs the additional spectacular that only comes from that magical addendum: "... on ice!"

Salesman! begins in traditional musical format, until early in Act Two, when the stage floor parts to reveal the ice rink below. Willy performs the show-stopping anthem, "Planting My Garden", between salchows and toe loops, before leaping onto a zamboni, belting, "I Am Known, Leave Me Alone, I Am Known." The zamboni picks up speed as Willy drives off stage to the sound of the frantic cello.

Tracklist:
  • The American Dream (That's Our Theme)
  • Where You Been, Willy? Where You Been? (Linda)
  • Those Were the Days (Biff and Happy)
  • When I Talk to Myself, I Know Someone's Listening (Willy)
  • Bill, Bill, Bill's the Man! (Willy and Biff)
  • Why Aren't I the Man Lament (Biff)
  • Anyone Else Hear That Flute? (Ensemble)
  • The Well-Liked Waltz (Willy and Ensemble)
  • Oh Woe, How We Owe (Linda)
  • March of the Whistling Carpenters (Biff and Ensemble)
  • Hike that Metaphor (the Football Song) (Willy, Biff, Happy, Bernard)
  • Planting My Garden (Willy)
  • I Am Known, Leave Me Alone, I Am Known (Willy)
  • Then Why Did No One Come? (Linda)
  • The American Dream (That's Our Theme) (reprise)

No comments:

Post a Comment